WORKgateways UK e-newsletter
Monthly e-News for the UK Working Traveler
07 April 2005 Volume 2 Issue 11
WORKgateways e-newsletter is written for UK working travelers whether you are in the UK, impatiently awaiting your departure date or thinking about going in the future.... Scroll down to view this month's topics, articles and info.
- Still in Australia/NZ/SA/Canada?
- In the UK!
- Show me the Money - International Money Transfer
- Site of the month - CouchSurfing.com
Do I have a packed Newsletter for you this month!
Life is short and sweet so let's get straight to it.
If you are an Accountant, we are thrilled to tell you about a truly amazing opportunity this month; flights, 'job before you leave home', 'Big 4', need I say more? Scroll down to the "Calling all Accountants" feature.
Do you have specific questions about traveling to the UK that need personal answers? Then visit WORKgateways' recently launched Forum where we hope to answer even more of your UK questions.
- Architecture is fast becoming one of WORKgateways' biggest areas. A continual demand exists for Architects and Technicians with experience, particularly in AutoCAD and 3D packages. View the latest architecture jobs.
- We are heading into what we call 'the silly season' for Planners. Budgets are released in April for the Local Authorities. That means this job sector is white HOT. View all town planning jobs...
- Want to know more? If you are in Australia we are presenting
at the YPConnect in conjunction with the Planning institute of
Australia. See you on the 21st of April! At the time of writing
they have not
updated their program but we are going to be there The Planning Institute of Australia Congress 2005. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the latest information, please
put "YPConnect" in the subject.
- Water, Structural, Traffic and Transport are still very much the flavours of the month, but there seems to be opportunities poping up in many other sectors as well, you have just got to know where to look. M&E Project engineers, particularly in the building services sector, are also in demand. 1-2 years experience is required. View all engineering jobs...
- Want to know more? If you are in Australia we are presenting in Melbourne (2 dates), Sydney (1 date) and Brisbane (2 dates) in the month of April. Email email@example.com for more information, please put "Engineers UK" in the subject.
- Warmer weather means we are heading into the busiest time of the year for the UK construction industry. If London wins the right to host the 2012 games in July, even more fuel will be added to the fire. Track the bid yourself: in the past month the odds have tightened on sportingbet.com at 3.5/1 View all construction jobs...
- Want to know more? If you are in Australia we are presenting in Melbourne (2 dates), Sydney (1 date) and Brisbane (2 dates) in the month of April. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, please put "Construction UK" in the subject.
- Demand is high at this time of year - qualified and experienced people will not wait long before starting their first UK contract. View the latest UK Trades, Building Services and Building Jobs
- Calling all Secondary teachers! Whilst primary teachers are having no trouble finding short term supply contracts, the biggest demand is at the Secondary level. You may need to look to September if you are seeking full time long-term teaching opportunities. In the meantime you will have gainful employment. View all teaching jobs.
- Finally, and officially, it has happened. Slowly but surely, after a few slow years, the jobs market for Legal Support personnel is in full swing again! View the latest legal jobs
- The sector continues to be in great need of qualified Social Workers - are you up for the challenge? Visit the latest vacancies to see what suits you.View the latest Social Worker jobs
- If you're a qualified accountant, you could have your flight to the UK refunded, assistance with your UK accommodation, a UK bank account AND secure 12 months of work over your 2 year working holiday BEFORE you even leave home. We know what you are thinking: but this is one thing that is not too good to be true. Scroll down for our PwC feature. View other Accounting and Finance jobs
Bar, Waiting, Sales and Nanny Jobs UK
To View jobs in your industry - Go to Job Search.
Or, if you have plans to arrive in the UK in the next two years simply Register with Agencies in your field.
Still in Australia/NZ/SA/Canada
Now you can mix business with pleasure.
UK Assurance Working Holiday Makers' Programme:
At PricewaterhouseCoopers, we don't think there's any reason why you can't see the world and give your career a boost at the same time. In fact we can't think of a better arrangement.
Right now, we're looking for qualified accountants with at least 3 years' audit experience for two fixed term contracts beginning in October. You'll work for a total of 12 months over the next two years. So if you're on a working holiday you really can mix business with pleasure.
If you want us to reimburse your flights, set up a UK bank account, pay you a salary and bonuses to travel AND secure the working element of your working holiday before leaving home, visit the website.QUESTION OF THE MONTH
I am very confused about the order of doing things. Could you offer insight into applying to agencies, getting a Visa and working in the UK?
Here are 3 simple rules:
- Definitely get a Visa BEFORE you arrive in the UK. (If you can)
- If you are a professional, apply to agencies as they like recruiting travellers up to 2 years before arrival in the UK. Register - (If you can find your Industry listed on this page, the best thing to do is Apply directly to jobs. There is no point doing this more than 3 months before you arrive because those jobs will be gone before you arrive in UK. Also, if you are a professional and have "Registered with Agencies" you can also apply to jobs within 3 months of arrival.
- Buy a ticket to get to the UK and ensure WORKgateways and your agencies have your arrival date and travel email. Need more info? See our FAQs.
In The UK
International Money Transfer... a traveller's guide
One of the most confusing things for Aussie, Kiwi, South African,
Canadian and other working travellers to figure out when you are
considering working overseas is how to move your money around the
- safely, effectively and cost-efficiently. There are numerous companies from which to choose, all hoping to be the ones to transfer your money internationally. Because WORKgateways has lots of experience we want to offer this knowledge and experience to you. We look at the pros and cons of the different money transfer options that are available to you as a working traveller whether its through Western Union or doing it on-line with the lowest cost. Find out more
In Every Issue:
Site of the Month:
The question is: Are you a traveller or a tourist? If you are a traveller this ones for you. You can use the site to meet people around the world and then go and surf on their couch. "Stays can be as short as a cup of coffee, a night or two, or even a few months or more. When you offer your couch, you have complete control over who visits. The possibilities are endless and completely up to you."- Visit CouchSurfing.com
Your Say: email your say to email@example.com
Do you have questions, comments; is there anything you’d like to see addressed in WORKgateways e-newsletter? Please email with any comments.