WORKgateways UK e-newsletter
Monthly e-News for the UK Working Traveller
June 2009, Volume 5 Issue 6
The WORKgateways e-newsletter is written for working travellers bound for the UK hailing from all over the globe - from New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Canada and more. Whether you're already in the UK, impatiently awaiting your departure date or thinking about going in the future, we've got something for you. Scroll down to view this month's info.
- Free international money transfer with TRANZFERS
- Smart and simple banking
- Your UK questions answered: Question of the Month
In every issue
Summer sunshine has finally arrived in the UK and there are lots of Pimm's and pints flowing in beer gardens and sunbathing in the parks - what a great time to be in Britain! This month we have a lot of great stuff for you - free money tranefers, travel wallets, Lonely Planet guides and lots of useful info and ideas for how to make the most of this great weather!
Need to get your money from your home country to the UK, or back again? Register with our recommended partner TRANZFERS and get your first transfer completely FREE
Forget the extortionate fees your bank will charge you - the easiest and cheapest way to transfer your money internationally is via online money transfer services, like Tranzfers (a partner of Ozforex).
WORKgateways has been working with Tranzfers for many years, and hundreds of our travellers successfully use the simple online service to get their money from A to B. Read our easy guide to international money transfers here to find out if Tranzfers is the best service for you. Here's why we think they are so good:
- ?7 or $15 for each transfer (the cheapest fee we've found!)
- Competitive exchange rates that they say beat the banks.
- Tranzfers moves money in both directions, between the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Hong Kong, Singapore, Europe (Euro and Polish Zloty), Sweden, USA and Canada.
- Tranzfers take 2-3 business days.
- A minimum transfer amount of ?50 and $100.
- Payments can be made to credit cards in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
SPECIAL OFFER: Sign up to TRANZFERS via our WORKgateways newsletter now and your first money transfer will be completely free! You must be a new customer and the offer is available for a limited time online. Just click on this link and enter your details.
Purchasing a UK bank account start up package will save yourself mountains of hassle - instead of stressing and racking up international bank fees you can get an operational UK bank account in just days and enjoy your first few weeks in the UK, just like you're supposed to! PLUS, refer a friend today and get a special WORKgateways gift!
We've trawled all the bank account start up packages that are available to bring you a few of the best options to getting your UK bank account sorted simply and quicky. Find out more about our UK bank account packages here - packages start from $85AUD, a small price to pay to save yourself months of hassle and save on those pesky international transaction fees!
If you want to be super organised, or if you are travelling through Europe before you get to the UK, a great option for you could be the Fastrack UK package. This package will ensure you get your UK bank card in your hot little hands before you even step on the plane - this card will be cheaper and likely more widely accepted in Europe than a card from Australia or New Zealand, and you'll avoid hefty international fees from your bank in your home country.
SPECIAL OFFER - REFER A FRIEND: If you purchase one of our bank account packages and refer a friend who also purchases any of the bank account packages, we will give you both a handy WORKgateways travel wallet - the perfect accessory for every working holiday maker and essential to ensure all your important documents and passport stay safe! Just email both your names to our newsletter editor, with TRAVEL WALLET in the subject line and she will be in touch to confirm.
Got a burning question about UK visas, how to find a job, or what the hell a National Insurance number is? Visit our all-knowing forum to chat with other working travellers and get your questions answered by our experts
Question of the month
Q:I'm in the UK on the two-year working visa but my 12 month working period is coming to an end! I don't want to go home though - can I apply for the new Youth Mobility Visa, or how can I extend my time in the UK?
A: It's a real bummer, but if you have previously held a working holiday visa, then you are not eligible to apply for the new Youth Mobility Visa. Instead, you can look at options like the Tier 1 (general) highly skilled visa (which you will need to hold at least a Master's degree to qualify for) or the Tier 2 visa, which requires sponsorship from a UK employer. Head to our forum to find out about other people's experiences, visit our UK visa pages (which have lots of handy info) or if you're still stumped, just post a question on the forum and one of our experts (or another member) will get back to you!
This month we spoke to Pasquale, from leading UK hospitality recruitment agency Citi Recruit who specialise in recruiting working holiday makers for tons of hospitality jobs - from restaurant managers to bar and wait staff at major events and hotel receptionists. This month we asked him how he could help you land that great hospitality job in the UK...
WG: What kind of candidates are you looking for?
Pasquale (City Catering): The ideal candidate will have a valid UK working visa so we can place them in either permanent positions (ie 6 months of continuous employment) or in temporary work for those who want to travel. Qualifications and/or experience within the hotel & catering industry are excellent and candidates should be reliable, committed with excellent customer care skills.
We have both junior and management positions so can secure employment for everyone from school leavers to more experienced staff.
WG: What kind of jobs have you got at the moment?
Pasquale: At the moment Citi Recruit has both contract and permanent jobs for chefs at all levels (including pastry chefs), restaurant managers and assistants, waiting and bar staff, silver and platter service staff, hotel receptionists and chambermaids. We have positions throughout the UK, and some employers outside London also provide accommodation and free meals for a small fee.
WG: What advice would you give candidates coming to the UK who want to work in hospitality?
Pasquale: You should be clear about where you want to work (e.g. London or outside London), if you need accommodation, when you can start, the position you would like and what you expect to earn. Then we can identify the right position for you. Prepare your CV and references, and be flexible in dealing with the different standards and procedures within the UK hospitality industry.
WG: Tips on how to get started and secure that job?
Pasquale: If you want to work in UK hospitality, get organised and register with Citi Recruit well in advance of your UK arrival date and we can liaise with you to ascertain your needs and expectations in terms of the position and salary you would like and when you can start. Then we can line up as many job opportunities for when you arrive as possible!
Head to WORKgateways for more information about Social Work jobs in the UK. Register with UK agencies now, or apply to UK jobs. To find out more about Citi Recruit, visit their WORKgateways profile page.
Judging by the cracking weather over the past few weeks, it looks like the UK summer is going to be a scorcher this year. Here are some of our top London tips to ensuring you soak up the most rays and have a great time, too...
- Perfect park picnics: London may not be brimming with golden beaches but it can definitely boast about dozens of huge, green parks offering prime opportunities for summer picnics. Fancy rowing in a gondola after lunch? Head to Battersea Park in the south. Richmond Park has roaming deer in the largest outdoor space in London or you can catch Shakespeare over your lunch in the Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park. You also can't beat celeb spotting on Hampstead Heath.
- Cruising in style: People often forget that a great way to get around London is straight up the river. Jump on a ferry at central spots like Waterloo, Embankment or Tower Hill to see the city from a different angle (don't forget your Oyster Card)- or if you fancy a tourist-friendly commentary, take a City Cruise.
- Bountiful beer gardens: If there is one thing the Brits do best, it's the beer garden. Nothing beats settling down with a pint of cider, lager or Pimm's and watching the world go by on a sunny, summer British day. To search for the best spots across the UK, visit websites like View London and Time Out.
- Sunny cities: Obviously there is more to the UK than just London, and one of the most pleasurable ways to enjoy the summer is to explore a few other cities. For jaw-dropping coastline and the UK's central surf spot, head to Newquay in Cornwall (or if you're after a more genteel and picturesque Cornish town, try Padstow). Summer camping is great in the Lakes District, or for a seaside town with tons of nightlife, culture and fabulous shopping, you can't beat Brighton. Up north should not be ignored either, with Manchester, Live rpool, Newcastle and Edinburgh all fantastic summer city break destinations.
In every issue
Pack this into your suitcase and start exploring the many wonders the great British isle has to offer - you just might be surprised...
Surf-pounded cliffs and mirror-clear lochs, humming cities and ancient towns, romantic wildernesses and island getaways...with so much on offer, which Great Britain will you choose?
We have five copies of the NEW Lonely Planet Great Britain guide to giveaway, just email us with 'GREAT BRITAIN' in the subject line(and your mailing address). Entries close end of June.
Winners of last month's THE LAKE DISTRICT giveaway: Michelle de Klerk, VIC, Australia; Jen Harvey, NSW, Australia; Miranda Hughes, Lincolnshire, UK; Deanna Button, Vancouver, Canada; Liza Apolonio, London, UK.
We want to share your UK adventures - so every month we will select a photo you have sent us of a great memory from your travels in the UK or Europe. This month we're showing you one of our own WORKgateways staff...
"This is me in front of La Segrada Familia - the magnificent Spanish cathedral designed by the eccentric architect Gaudi. Barcelona is hands down one of my favourite cities in the world - so much to see and do" Pru, WORKgateways
Get your own goodie (a travel book or flight voucher) send us a photo of you enjoying your working holiday in the UK or on holiday in Europe and we'll send you a little something to say thanks. Email our newsletter editor with your favourite snap.