already a member?   login »
username password

WORKgateways UK e-newsletter

Monthly e-News for the UK Working Traveller

July 2009, Volume 5 Issue 7

The WORKgateways e-newsletter is written for working travellers bound for the UK hailing from all over the globe - from New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Canada and more. Whether you're already in the UK, impatiently awaiting your departure date or thinking about going in the future, we've got something for you. Scroll down to view this month's info.


What's new


In every issue


Yes, it's true - the summer has come and London is revelling in a UK-style heatwave. Wimbledon, in all its Pimm's and strawberry glory, and a sunny Glastonbury, have come to an end but there's plenty more to look forward to in the coming months. One of the best times to be in the UK? We think so, and we're here to help make sure you get your chance to experience the UK yourself. Find out the latest visa info this month, info about accounting jobs in Edinburgh, plus we answer your questions and give you the chance to win more great travel guides.

What's new

New shortage occupation lists released

The new list of occupations that require skilled workers in the UK has been published by the Home Office - highlighting occupations which can more easily qualify for Tier 2 sponsorship

If a job is on the UK shortage occupation list, it means there are not enough resident workers in the UK or EU to fill the available jobs in that particular sector. Skilled workers that fall within these job categories will be more easily able to qualify for Tier 2 sponsorship.

Occupations most in demand are social workers for children and families, and there have been some changes to occupations within the healthcare industries that qualify. See the revised list.

If you would like to work in the UK, you might not need sponsorship if you qualify for another visa category - like the Youth Mobility Visa (also known as the working holiday visa) or the Tier 1 highly skilled visa. If you have more questions about which visa is best for you, visit our WORKgateways forum.

Already got your UK visa sorted? Register with UK agencies, or apply to UK jobs.

Free international money transfers with TRANZFERS

Need to get your money from your home country to the UK, or back again? Register with our recommended partner TRANZFERS and get your first transfer completely FREE

Forget the extortionate fees your bank will charge you - the easiest and cheapest way to transfer your money internationally is via online money transfer services, like Tranzfers (a partner of Ozforex).

WORKgateways has been working with Tranzfers for many years, and hundreds of our travellers successfully use the simple online service to get their money from A to B. Read our easy guide to international money transfers here to find out if Tranzfers is the best service for you. Here's why we think they are so good:

  • ?7 or $15 for each transfer (the cheapest fee we've found!)
  • Competitive exchange rates that they say beat the banks.
  • Tranzfers moves money in both directions, between the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Hong Kong, Singapore, Europe (Euro and Polish Zloty), Sweden, USA and Canada.
  • Tranzfers take 2-3 business days.
  • A minimum transfer amount of ?50 and $100.
  • Payments can be made to credit cards in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

SPECIAL OFFER: Sign up to TRANZFERS via our WORKgateways newsletter now and your first money transfer will be completely free! You must be a new customer and the offer is available for a limited time online. Just click on this link and enter your details.

Your UK questions answered: Question of the month

Got a burning question about UK visas, how to find a job, or what the hell a National Insurance number is? Visit our all-knowing forum to chat with other working travellers and get your questions answered by our experts

Question of the month

Q:What insurance do I need when I move to the UK? What medical cover will I get?

A: Anyone that comes to the UK to work under a working visa is entitled to medical cover until the National Health Service. This will cover you for services like emergency treatment, GP visits and reduced fee on presciptions while you are in the UK. It will NOT cover you medically when you are abroad in Europe - you should get an annual policy or single-trip policy to cover you on these trips. Bargains on these policies can be picked up at supermarkets, chemists and online easily in the UK, from as little as a few pounds for a weekend. Find our more on our Insurance page

Got more questions? Visit our WORKgateways forum.


Accounting jobs in Edinburgh

This month we spoke to Andrea, from the specialist accounting recruitment consultancy Wilkinson & Associates. She spoke to us about the great opportunities for qualified accountants in temporary and fixed term contracts in Edinburgh..

WG: What kinds of opportunities do you have at the moment?
Andrea (Wilkinson & Associates): The temporary/contract market is more buoyant than the permanent market at the moment. We are currently looking for qualified accountants to work in temporary and fixed term contract positions, including: Decision Support Managers, Integration Support Accountants, Business Support Managers, Financial Analysts, Management Accountants, Specific projects e.g. lots of emphasis on costs (cost reduction/cost allocation/cost reporting) and Statutory Reporting.

WG: What kind of candidates and experience are you looking for?
Andrea: Qualified accountants (CA/CIMA/ACCA/CPA etc), whether newly qualified or with up to 5 years post-qualified experience, are in high demand at the moment. If you have 2-4 years experience, you'll be in a good position (financial services experience is good if you want a job in Edinburgh).

Most contracts are 3-6 months at the moment so working holiday/tier 1 visas are acceptable. Many of our clients are looking for people who could potentially go permanent at a later stage too, so longer term visas are also great.

WG: Where do you have positions available? And how much can accountants earn right now?
Andrea: We currently have jobs in Edinburgh and around the Scottish Central Belt focused (e.g. down to Scottish Borders, across to Glasgow, north to Fife etc). We do sometimes recruit for further afield but on a more ad-hoc basis. Newly qualified accountants can expect around ?180-?220/day. This daily rate will increase depending on company/role/experience.

WG: Tips on how to get started and secure that job?
Andrea: Be prepared that in the current climate there might be less choice and slightly more lead time in getting a job ? the candidate market is still competitive, but stick with it. Be flexible. Be prepared to consider contracts (which may ultimately turn permanent).

Head to WORKgateways for more information about Accounting jobs in the UK. Register with UK agencies now, or apply to UK jobs. To find out more about Wilkinson & Associates, visit their WORKgateways profile page.

Better UK banking

Everyone needs a bank account, and in the UK it's harder to set up one when you first arrive then you would think! That's why we've put together a selection of the best, most convenient traveller packages to help you get your UK bank account sorted quickly and easily.

We now offer a total of four cracking packages to assist you open your bank account in the UK. Read all the latest info about opening a UK bank account and compare the packages we have to offer on our WORKgateways banking pages.

The cheapest options are 1st Contact Kickstart, Visa First and the CXC Global Ready2Work package. The Fastrack UK package is more expensive, but is a good option that includes unlimited money transfers and a bank account that is fully operational before you even leave your home country.

Any working traveller will tell you that organising their bank account via one of these traveller bank account packages before they left home was the best thing they did. So, start your research now! Visit our bank account pages to get started.

In every issue

WIN! New Lonely Planet cycling guide to BRITAIN

Where else can you cycle an entire country's length, stopping at traditional village pubs for a ploughman's lunch and a pint of ale? Amble around Scottish lochs and leafy wooded tracts or sweat it out on steep moors and craggy mountains - this guide will show you Britain's greatest rides.

We have five copies of the NEW Lonely Planet Cycling Britain guide (UK RRP ?15.99) to give away, just email us with 'CYCLING' in the subject line (and your mailing address). Entries close end of July.

Winners of last month's GREAT BRITAIN giveaway: Angela Dridan, London, UK; Katheen Morrissy, Victoria, Australia; Lorna Jones, Armadale, Australia; Lindsay Legaspi, Edmonds, Western Australia; Simon Woods, London, UK

Prizes for your best UK and European pics!

We want to share your UK adventures - so every month we will select a photo you have sent us of a great memory from your travels in the UK or Europe...

"This was taken in front of Big Ben in London. We are all teachers from Kununurra in the remote north of Western Australia who are in England this year, working and holidaying. We managed to meet up in London on one of the lovely sunny days during half term and after lunch at a pub on the banks of the Thames, had a fabulous walk along the South Bank to Westminster." Sue, Western Australia, now in England

To say thanks, we're sending Sue a gift. So, to get your own goodie (a travel book or flight voucher) send us a photo of you enjoying your working holiday in the UK or on holiday in Europe and we'll send you a little something to say thanks. Email our newsletter editor with your favourite snap.


back to top