already a member?   login »
username password


Live-in Jobs - Care Work


Rewarding UK work to finance your travels 

     Find Jobs


Working in Live-in Care

      The Perks          What to Expect              FAQs         


By becoming a live-in carer, you provide homecare assistance - from daily tasks to basic medical care - that enables someone living with an illness or disability to stay comfortably in their own home. Many travelers choose live-in care jobs for an immersive UK experience, high wages with low expenses and free accommodation and the ability to earn enough to finance future travel in a short amount of time. 

The Perks


Free Meals & Housing

Quick Savings for Travel

Genuine UK  Experience

Rewarding Work

All of your meals and your accommodation will be provided for you during your stay.  With low living expenses and plenty of work hours, you can save a lot in short period.  Learn what daily life is like by living with a UK resident instead of living as a tourist. Help someone who needs you, and make a new friend along the way. 

 What to Expect

Different care recuitment agencies and employers offer different live-in care programs, compensation and general responsibilities. This will give you a general idea of what to expect.
  • Free Training

Some organisations offer free training. This can be a very helpful to hit the ground running because you will become familiarized with your client's needs and learn how you can best help them. During this time your employer or agency will likely cover your accomodations. 

  • Save up to £370 to £550 Per Week 

The exact pay rates you'll earn as a carer in the UK depends on your employer, responsibilities and time commitment. One huge benefit of live-in work however is that often your food and accommodation is part of the arrangement. This means your ability to save is excellent. In dollar terms this is the equivalent of between $35000 and $50000 per year assuming you work 48 weeks a year.

  • Short to Long-Term Stays

There are a wide variety of live-in care programs that each come with a wide variety of clients who have a variety of needs. You may prefer an arrangement that allows you to work 3 weeks, then take 3 off, work for 3 months straight, or commit to a longer span of time.

  • Scheduled Free Time

You will likely work 6-8 hours per day with scheduled free time. Exactly how much free time you'll have and when that free time will be depend on your client's preferences. For instance, if you work with an early riser, perhaps your free time will start in the afternoon. Conversely, if your client prefers late dinners, your free time may start at night. 

  • Daily Responsibilities

These include cooking, cleaning, running errands and providing specified care for your client. Being able to drive is often a requirement. Having a drivers license from overseas can be a huge advantage but is not always a requirement. You will also often find that most cars in the UK are manual not automatic.

  • Minimal Expenses

Your accommodation and meals will normally be provided. Use your earnings to save up for travel or enjoy your free time!

  • Making a Difference

Live-in care can be very reqarding. You will have the opportunity to build a relationsihp with someone who needs you. Not only will you help with the likes of errands, you will also lend emotional support and become a valuable companion. Clients will benefit from your help and you'll benefit from their knowledge about the UK, as well as their friendship. 



Who is an ideal candidate?   

While prior nursing or medical experience is not required, backgrounds in fields like nursing or first-hand experience with caring for others is considered ideal. You should be comfortable with cooking and cleaning, and the ability to drive is a plus. The most essential requirement is that you’re ready and willing to provide round-the-clock care for someone who needs you.

Do I need a UK driving license?  

Being able to drive in UK is a huge plus. You can drive without a UK driving license for up to 12 months if you have a license issued from a country outside of the EU.  If you have a driving license from a country within the EU, you can drive as long as your license is valid. Read more. 

How old do I have to be? 

While many live-in care agencies require participants to be 21, others accept candidates who are 18 and older. Various agencies will post on our job boards or work with you once you register with agencies so you'll find the right fit if you're under 21. 

How much will I get paid?   

While wages depend upon the level of care your client needs and amount of hours your work, you can generally expect to be paid £400 to £700 per week. It's worth noting that you'll likely have very few living expenses as your meals and accomodations will be covered. Remeber to convert the British Pound into your local currency. Chances are you'll be pleasantly surprised.

What kind of training will I need?  

If you have experience in a nursing home, as a nurse or residential carer, you may not need any further training. However if you desire to become a support worker in the residential care some agencies offer one week of free training. Most agencies will cover the cost of your accommodation during this time. At the end you will usually also have a job!

What documents do I need to apply? 

Before you arrive, you should take steps to make sure that you’re eligible to work in the UK and will undergo a DBS check likely after arrival in the UK. Be expected to provide you CV with work history, education and references.

How long will my live-in care job last? 

This varies based on your position and travel plans. Some carers enjoy working for 3 to 6 months or longer to finance months of travel while others prefer to work every few weeks on and off and travel during their breaks. One of the great advantages of carer jobs is the flexibility which enables you to travel and save money when you need it.

  Have a quesiton we haven't answered here? Contact Us. 



Get Started:


        Find Jobs           Apply to Agencies