already a member?   login »
username password

Teaching Jobs - London and UK


Teach on your terms during your working holiday. 


     Find Jobs

Working in Education in the UK 

      The Opportunity                How to Prepare                    FAQs         

There are currently a wide range of teaching opportunities for travelers with a work visa or EU passport in schools across the UK. Finding the perfect opportunity that suits your experience and fits in with your travel plans quickly is often the biggest challenge. Over the past several years, the recruitment industry has evolved greatly. Agencies tailor their services to connecting people from overseas with employers in the UK - including supply teaching and full year posts. 

Our mission is to connect teachers with recruitment agencies that specialise in helping people from overseas. Register with agencies before you arrive so you can spend your time planning trips to Europe instead. 


The Opportunity




Employment Scope



Choose from a Long-Term, Day-to-Day Supply or Permanent teaching position at a variety of levels and facilities. 

Qualified teachers and technicians at least two of experience will thrive in positions in London and beyond. Get the flexibility to work day-to-day for frequent travel, or choose a long-term contract.


Scope: Available Positions

For teachers arriving in London from overseas, there is a full range of vacancies available from agency supply teaching to permanent vacancies. Teaching jobs in Britain are usually described as being Long Term, Day to Day (or Supply) or Permanent. The notes below describe what these terms really mean for you. Note that the Visa you hold will to some extent affect the types of positions you can choose from. 

Long-Term Positions

Read about benefits and responsibilities associated with a long-term position in the UK.

From 5 weeks to a full term or longer, long-term teaching positions usually provide all the benefits of a full time staff member and the stability of work 5 days a week. As a long-term teacher you will have full classroom responsibilities including creating lesson plans, student assessments, liaising with parents and educational bodies, and you may also be involved in professional development.

Day-to-Day Supply Opportunities

Read about why many travelers enjoy day-to-day supply positions.

Day-to-day supply is an excellent way to kick-start your teaching career in London. This type of employment is common and popular for newly arrived teacher.

Teachers from overseas enjoy the ability to teach in a variety of schools to gain insight into the British system, to have a flexible schedule that doesn't revolve around set school terms, and to potentially gain a more long-term position at a school they enjoy.

Permanent Positions 

Read about opportunies you'll have if you choose to stay in the UK.

There are opportunities for those interested in securing permanent positions. In this case a school will interview you in the normal way but when you accept the position you will become a full-time employee of the school. Again, these positions are for teachers who require the security of constant work and a regular income. 

Permanent teaching positions are ongoing and benefits here include holiday and sick leave pay. Generally schools ask for at least a one-year commitment. 

Demand:Levels of Education and Associated Institutions 

Teaching positions thoughout England can be located in a variety of school levels and educational facility types including Nursery Schools and Early Childhood Centres, Primary and Secondary Schools as well as Special Education Needs facilities.


Nursery Schools and Early Childhood Centres

Childcare centres are known as Day Nurseries and are either privately owned or run by the local district or community called a Borough. In addition there are usually Nursery departments within Infant or Primary schools. 

Pre-schools are also known as Nurseries and are for children up to 4 years old, after which the children enter the first year of formal learning which is called a Reception class. The Reception Class would be equivalent to Kindergarten in Australia and New Entrants in New Zealand. Nursery Nurses can be employed as Classroom Assistants in both the Reception class and Year 1 and sometimes throughout the school. A Nursery Manager will direct the educational program within a Day Nursery.

Primary and Secondary Schools

Britain has both public and private schools within all sectors of the education system. Students at Primary school level will be between 5 to 11 years of age while students at the secondary level are between 11 and 18 years of age. Sometimes students aged 16 to 18 years will attend a special tertiary or 6th form college. Since 1988 all schools conform to the British National Curriculum. 

The core subject areas within the national curriculum include English, Mathematics, Science, Design & Technology and Information Technology. In England GSCE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) examinations are taken at the age of 16 and Advanced ‘A’ Levels at age 18. 

In the primary sector there have recently been significant changes to the way Literacy and Numeracy are taught in Primary Schools. Note that the new requirements are well supported and when teaching these areas you will know exactly what needs to be achieved from each lesson and you are guided throughout by supporting materials. If necessary, you will be able to receive more information on teaching Literacy and Numeracy through your recruitment agency.

Special Educational Needs Facilities or SEN Schools

There are SEN departments located in mainstream schools and there are also separate SEN schools that provide an education at both the primary and secondary schooling level. SEN schools have smaller classes that are often supported by a teacher and a classroom assistant, or a Nursery Nurse in the case of primary schools. 

Types of SEN schools include EBD (Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties), MLD (Moderate Learning Difficulties) and SLD (Severe Learning Difficulties).

Note that you do not necessarily need a specific qualification or experience within SEN to teach special needs pupils. This can give you a chance to explore this type of work and develop your experience in this area if you wish. You may find that working with children with Special Educational Needs could be one of the most rewarding and memorable experiences of your trip!

Lifestyle: Locations & Earnings 


Teaching Posts are located in cities, towns and in rural areas, in publicly funded or independent schools. It is true that most positions are available in the greater London area, as well as Manchester and Birmingham due to the majority of the population being located in these areas.

How Much You'll Earn 

Day-to-day supply teaching rates can range from 129 to 208 pounds per full day for a fully qualified teacher.

British qualified teachers working in long-term or permanent positions can expect minimum salaries of roughly 22,626 pounds per year, or 27,000 pounds in Inner London due to higher cost of living. Salaries then progress on a scale which considers  number of years teaching, type of experienced gained and any extra responsibilities undertaken. For example, a teacher with five years experience could expect to earn roughly 34000 pounds per annum in Inner London.



How to Prepare  


Finding a Job  

  1. Cut to the chase by simply registering with specialist recruitment agencies for teaching recruitment that are focused on helping people from overseas - ideally before you arrive.

  2. Discover the opportunites available by reading the information below.

  3. Begin applying to specific teaching jobs. (When you register at step one, you can choose to recieve jobmail)

A Before You Go Check List: You'll Need

1. Teaching qualification
2. At least two years of teaching experience
3. A valid work visa or EU passport or Right to Abode see Visas for Teachers
4. A CV and References 
5. Plans to travel
6. A sense of adventure!

Visa & Immigration Information

To enter and work as a teacher, British immigration requires you to have a valid Visa, Work Permit or Passport. The information below is specific to Teachers wishing to travel and work. For more information about the specific visas and permits themselves please visit WORKgateways’ UK Visa section or our Visa Links section for official sites and visa agencies. 

Working Holiday Visa

With a Working Holiday Visa, teachers can work in their chosen profession on a supply basis but not on a permanent basis. This means you could choose to work on a day-to-day or long-term contract placement. Teachers with an Ancestry Visa, Right to Abode certificate or with an EU passport can undertake any type of placement including day to day, long term contract or permanent positions.

Sponsorship to Stay Longer than Your Working Holiday Visa Allows

If you wish to stay longer than your (Tier 5) Working Holiday Visa allows you can seek a permanent position with sponsorship before your Working Holiday Visa is expired. Your recruitment agency will usually be able to assist you with this. Gaining sponsorship as a teacher is made possible by any experience you have been able to gain during your working holiday visa.

Sponsorship for a Work Permit 

Teachers have been added to the list by DES (Department for Education and Skills) of skills and vocations experiencing a shortage. This means that if you do not qualify for any of the other visa or passport types you may be able to get a sponsored work permit where an employer applies for a work permit on your behalf for a specific position. Many agencies can help you with this, even before you leave your home country. Please let WORKgateways know when you register if this is what you would require.




Is my qualification recognized in the UK?

Yes! The British Government department of education recognises Teachers’ qualifications from several countries and do not normally require further certification from those qualified in New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Canada.

Is a long-term, day-to-day supply or permanent position best for working travelers?

A Working Holiday Visa enables travelers to get day-to-day supply or long-term jobs, but not permanent. Often teachers from overseas enjoy day-to-day supply jobs as these positions allow them to experience a variety of teaching environments to get insight into the overall British system, have scheduling flexibility that doesn't require you to plan a trip around the normal school term, and potentially find long-term positions. 

How will I get my schedule for day-to-day supply jobs, and can I turn some down? 

Note that the key to day-to-day supply work is keeping in touch with your recruitment agency’s office. Often positions are filled on the evening prior to, or the morning of, the day a teacher is required. You will likely be asked to contact your agency’s office about 4pm to 6pm each afternoon and then in between 7am to 9am each morning to see what’s on for that day, or the next and let them know if you are available. It is your responsibility to be prepared for work early and ensure you can access travel information promptly! Of course, you will have the option to refuse as well. 

What types of educational facilities have available opportunities in the UK?

Teaching positions can be available in either of the following institutions:

  • State Funded Schools – state funded institutions maintained by both the local and central government. These schools are managed by LEA’s (local education authorities) OR
  • Independent Schools – do not receive state funding and are largely supported and maintained by parents.

Can I teach on a Working Holiday Visa?

Yes. You can find day-to-day supply positions or fixed-contract (long-term) positions that last 5 weeks to a full term, or potentially even longer.

Are there positions available in central London?

IYes there are. For reasons of population and need most teacher vacancies are located in urban centres including London, Manchester and Birmingham. There are also positions available in smaller towns and rural areas.

When is the British school term?

The British academic year runs from September to July.

In general:

Autumn Term 1st week in September to 3rd week in December
Spring Term 2nd week in January to Easter (April)
Summer Term After Easter (April) to 3rd week July
  • Every 6/7 weeks there is a 1-week half term break.


Have a question we haven't answered here? Contact Us




Get Started:


        Apply to Jobs           Register